Wondering why this name? Last week was one of those ‘emotionally low’ ones and particularly one evening, I felt super upset though for no apparent reason. I wanted to eat food that made me happy – comfort food, soul food, whatever you want to call it. And I was tired of the takeaways – yet another pizza, pasta or burger.
Not being in the mood to cook an entire meal, I raided the fridge to find what’s in there to make something warm and happy. Laid my eyes on a packet of wraps and that triggered the dish. Took out every single ingredient I could lay my hands on be it spices, veggies, eggs, meat, cold cuts and made this super indulgent wrap. Even got my hubby and son to help me out and by the end of the day, I was one happy girl again. Thank you ‘wrap’!
1. Wheat wrap – 1
2. Egg – 1
3. Chicken breast – 1, sliced finely
4. Nando’s lemon herb sauce – 2 tbsp
5. Red onion – 1 small, sliced finely
6. Mushroom – 4, sliced finely
7. Cucumber – ½, round slices
8. Sausages – 1
9. Salami – 2 slices
10. Alfalfa sprouts – ½ cup
11. Green bell pepper – ½, sliced finely
12. Mixed salad leaves – a handful
13. Salt – to taste
14. Pepper – to season
15. Olive oil
16. Smoked paprika – 1 tsp
17. Tomato sauce – 2 tsp
• Marinate the chicken pieces in the lemon and herb sauce; keep aside for 30 minutes (I already had marinated chicken in the fridge, so made the job easier). Shallow fry and keep aside.
• Shallow fry the sausages in olive oil or grill. Cut into slices and keep aside.
• Heat olive oil in a pan, sauté the sliced onions till translucent; add mushrooms and sauté till cooked. Add sliced bell pepper and sauté for another 30 seconds. Season with salt and smoked paprika and keep aside.
• Beat an egg well and season with salt and pepper. Heat the wrap on a tawa and smear the beaten egg on one side of the wrap. Flip over immediately, cook for a minute till the egg coats well and then take off the tawa.
• To assemble the wrap, place with the egg coated side up, place a layer of salad leaves and alfalfa sprouts on top. Add the chicken pieces on top followed by sautéed onion mushroom mixture. Then add the salami slices and sausages. Finally layer the cucumber slices. Season with pepper and drizzle tomato sauce. Roll the wrap tightly.