This dessert recipe is dedicated to all my readers who are constantly asking me to post more sweet and baked treats on my blog.
Honestly guys, you know how much I shy away from desserts here. It’s not my biggest strength nor do I have a sweet tooth. So when I finally decide to make one, it must be simple, easy to comprehend and one of those no-fail recipes. And that’s exactly what we are making today – Strawberries, Sparkling Wine, Cream Chantilly, Pistachios. Cannot get easier than this!
Easter is almost here, so I thought there would be so many people out there like me who can’t whip up complicated sweet treats. This recipe is a breeze to follow, one that anyone can put together. Good quality strawberries and a great tasting Sparkling is all that you really need to take care of.
As the name suggests, the dessert is just a happy marriage between all the four ingredients.
I used the Yellowglen Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Prosecco blend Sparkling; it has really refreshing, sweet, fruity flavours that is perfect for a dessert like this. Don’t worry about the alcohol bit if you are serving it to children as the quantity is really less. But if you prefer to keep it alcohol free, then use a great tasting non alcoholic sparkling that is easily available at all supermarkets instead.
Pistachios are for the crunch, adds a savoury, nutty texture that is required to complete the dessert. But you can also use wafers, sweet crisps, biscotti etc……anything that adds a crunch.
And before we get to the recipe, here’s another sweet treat that I made last Easter; a fun project if you have kids at home.
Recipe adapted from Gourmet Traveller
- 500gms strawberries; hulled and thinly sliced
- 100ml Sparkling wine
- Juice of ½ orange
- 3-4 tbsp icing sugar (sieved)
- ½ cup pistachios; coarsely crushed
- Crème Chantilly
- 300ml thickened cream
- 35 gms icing sugar (sieved)
- 1 vanilla bean (or vanilla bean paste)
- In a non reactive bowl, combine the strawberries, sparkling wine and orange juice. Add 2 tbsp icing sugar (sieved), mix well to combine and taste. Add more icing sugar if needed. Refrigerate for atleast 15 minutes to macerate or until required.
- To prepare the crème Chantilly, whisk the thickened cream, scraped seeds from the vanilla bean and icing sugar in a bowl till soft peaks form (take care not to over whip). Refrigerate until required.
- To assemble the dessert, add the macerated strawberries to 1/4th of the dessert glass/bowl; top with the cream and garnish with crushed pistachios.
- Serve immediately.