Linguine with asparagus and tomato; a recipe that I had jotted down in my cookbook diary long back. Stayed out of sight and out of mind for a long time but was thrilled to rediscover it. And since I did not think that I would be publishing or blogging about this recipe, forgot to write down where I got it from. So sorry that I cannot give due credits.
Asparagus is a relatively new vegetable for me as it is quite expensive back in India; in fact, I have tasted it only once at a five star resto, before coming to Australia. It is a wonderful vegetable to cook with, fresh with a delicious crunch.
Overcooking asparagus is the worst thing that you can do to it as it lose its crunch and vibrancy, two qualities which make it unique. Blanching or grilling is the best way to preserve its natural taste.
A very simple, easy to prepare pasta dish which has become a regular in our home. And a perfect one for Meatless Mondays.
Linguine with Asparagus and Tomato
- Linguine – 300 gm
- Green asparagus – 500 gm
- Cherry tomatoes – 200 gm
- Canned tomatoes – 400 gm
- Olive oil – 4-5 tbsp
- Garlic – 2 cloves chopped finely
- Salt – to taste
- Pepper – to taste
- A pinch of sugar
- Italian herbs optional
- Chilli flakes optional
- Parmesan cheese – freshly grated
- Rinse and trim the asparagus; cut into short sections.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and lightly fry the garlic till golden brown.
- Add the asparagus and toss for a few seconds. Then add the cherry tomatoes and cook further on high heat for a few seconds. Next add the canned tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Add a pinch of sugar and simmer on low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Cook linguine in salted boiling water; reserve a bit of the water in which the pasta was cooked, drain the remaining and add to the simmering sauce. Use the reserved pasta water to loosen up the sauce if it feels too thick.
- Grate fresh Parmesan cheese on top and season with Italian herbs and chilli flakes.
- Serve warm.
Meatless Mondays sound like an amazing idea, I’ve been trying have one meat free day a week as well. This pasta looks simple and delicious.
I think its great for the body to keep everything in moderation so I do try it as much as possible. And after a busy workday, this dish just works brilliantly.
Diva's in Christ
sounds yum…will have to try this one.