Tikkas or grilled meat skewers are a hot favourite in my household and I constantly try to experiment with different flavours. My son loves these and I am sure, so would most kids as it is simple and fuss-free eating for them.
Tikkas are a staple in Indian, Pakistani, Middle Eastern and Meditteranean cuisines but each region has a distinct flavour due to the differences in the spices and marinades. In this recipe, raw mango is the star ingredient which acts as both the flavour agent and meat tenderizer. There are two marinades; the first a basic aromatic blend followed by the 2nd marinade which is the deep flavour infusing one.
The flavours are refreshing due to the use of herbs, yoghurt and raw mango with just the right hint of spices making this lamb tikka ravishing on your taste buds. If you have a charcoal grill, then that is the best way to cook these succulent tikkas or you could use a pan grill like I did.
Recipe Courtesy – Femina Magazine
Kairi Gosht Tikka (Grilled Lamb Skewers)
- Lamb boneless pieces – 800gms; washed, cleaned and drained well
- Red onion – 1 large cut into large cube
- Butter – for basting
- Green chillies – 4 medium
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Malt vinegar – ½ tbsp
- Salt – to season
- Thick curd/yoghurt – 3 -4 tbsp
- Cheese cube – 1 grated
- Raw mango – ½ cup cubed
- Red chilli powder – ¼ tsp
- Coriander leaves – 4 sprigs
- Mint leaves – 4-5
- Green chillies – 3
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Amchur/raw mango powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – to season
- Garam masala – ¼ tsp
- Freshly milled black pepper – 1 tsp
- Cream – 1 tbsp
- Chat masala
- Lemon wedges
- Grind all the ingredients under 1st marinade without adding any water.
- Grind all the ingredients under 2nd marinade to make a thick paste. Do not add any water.
- Marinate the lamb pieces along with the diced onions in the 1st marinade and keep for 1 hour.
- Squeeze out the excess moisture if any and marinate the lamb and onion in the 2nd marinade and keep for 2 hours.
- Pierce the lamb pieces and onions onto wet bamboo skewers. You can either insert the onion pieces between each piece of lamb or at the ends like I have done.
- Grill till the lamb is cooked well and tender. If you think it is getting dry, baste using melted butter.
- Serve hot with a sprinkle of chat masala and lemon wedges. I added a side salad and mint-coriander chutney which went well with the lamb skewers.