All of us have days when we hate to enter the kitchen and I am not an exception. And one particular night, though I was deeply tempted to order food from outside, I resisted the urge and decided to come up with something simple yet filling.
A quick raid of the fridge revealed leftover rice, eggs and broccolini. ‘Necessity is indeed the mother of invention’ and I ended up preparing this simple fried rice with a splash and dash of the innumerable Asian sauces that I have in my pantry. Surprisingly, the dish turned out to be a good one; the proof for that came when my 4 year old gave me a hug and said; ‘Mama, that is deleeecious’.
Egg broccolini rice
- Long-grained rice – 2.5 cups I used leftover rice, but make it fresh if you want to
- Eggs – 3 large beaten well
- Broccolini – 2 bunches; chopped
- Dark soy sauce – 2-3 tbsp
- Fish sauce – 1-2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Black pepper – to taste
- Ginger – ½ tsp grated
- Vegetable oil – 1-2 tbsp
- Heat oil in a pan and add the beaten eggs. Scramble till half done.
- Add the broccolini and sauté on high heat. Add the grated ginger and seasonings.
- Saute for a minute.
- Add the rice and mix well. Serve hot