Sandwiches have always been one of my favourite types of food as it is fuss-free eating. After coming down to Australia, these have also become a way of life. I find it much easier to prepare these for our afternoon lunch – convenient for my hubby to have it at office and also make my son get used to having it on his own as he starts school next year. And the latter reason has also given me the momentum to try and experiment with different sandwich fillings and breads to keep it interesting and different every single day. So that means you are going to see a lot of sandwich recipes on my blog.
Lots of rich, umami flavours from the mushrooms and bacon and spiced with Sriracha, and accompanied by onions, tomato and rocket leaves for a delicious sandwich. Easy to make and delicious!
Bacon Mushroom Sandwich
- 3 long rolls or any kind of bread you wish to use
- 150 gms rindless bacon; sliced thin lengthwise
- 250 gms brown mushrooms; sliced thin lengthwise
- 1 small red onion; finely sliced
- 1 cup rocket leaves
- 1 medium tomato; halved and then sliced
- Salt; to season
- Freshly milled black pepper; to season
- 2 tbsp sriracha hot sauce use any hot sauce
- Mayonnaise; to spread on the roll
- Tomato chutney; to spread on the roll
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- Heat oil in a pan and add the bacon; cook on medium heat till the bacon pieces are lightly browned.
- Add the mushrooms and onions; cook on high heat till the mushrooms are just done (just a minute or two).
- Season with salt, pepper and Sriracha. Mix well to combine and remove from heat.
- To assemble the sandwich, spread mayo on one side and tomato chutney on another (use any condiments of your choice otherwise).
- Arrange rocket leaves and tomato slices on both sides; then place the mushroom bacon filling in the centre.