Ande ka Funda (actually, it is Chinese egg fry)

In spite of having tons of recipes written down to be tried and experimented with, I (occasionally) face a culinary roadblock when it comes to cooking on some days. And these are the times when I am at my creative best, pulling out all sorts of ingredients from my pantry and refrigerator ending up with a totally new dish. I must admit, though, these creative sessions can be quite disastrous too. But luckily, this one was a real winner and totally loved by my guinea pigs (a doting hubby and an adorable 4 year old).

I had initially named this dish as Chinese Egg Fry but somehow, while writing this post, the old Bollywood song by the same name kept playing in my head and so the dish got re-christened as Ande ka Funda. Crazy, I know!

Well, coming to the dish, there are no classic Chinese ingredients in this one. The strong, pungent Chinese five spice was liberally dusted on boiled eggs and a good measure of parsley leaves thrown in to counteract the headiness of the spice blend. If you do not have parsley at home, go ahead and use coriander leaves.

Ande ka Funda

1. Eggs – 4, boiled and halved
2. Chinese five spice – 2 tsp
3. Parsley leaves – ½ cup, finely chopped
4. Vegetable oil – 3 tbsp
5. Salt – to season

• Boil and halve the eggs; keep aside.
• In a bowl, mix Chinese five spice, salt, parsley leaves and 1 tbsp oil. Taste and adjust.
• Carefully apply this spice mix on the eggs.
• Heat remaining oil in a flat pan and place the eggs (yolk-side) down.
• Cook for a minute on medium heat and then carefully flip over and cook for another minute.
• Remove and serve hot.

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 thoughts on “Ande ka Funda (actually, it is Chinese egg fry)

1. Angelina June 7, 2014 at 11:42 am Reply

can you please tell me what spices “chinese five spice” used in the dish ??

• vanyadhanya June 7, 2014 at 1:11 pm Reply

I bought ready made Chinese five spice dear……

• vanyadhanya June 7, 2014 at 1:11 pm Reply

If you are not able to find it, use garam masala instead but use lesser quantities.

2. Aruna Panangipally October 13, 2013 at 2:26 pm Reply

Your title reminded of the old Egg Council ad jingle “Khaana meri jaan, meri jaan, murgi ke ande!”

Simple recipe and looks delicious!

• vanyadhanya October 14, 2013 at 1:14 am Reply

that jingle used to be a favourite of mine too….there was one for milk too.

• Aruna Panangipally October 14, 2013 at 1:17 am

Doodh doodh doodh doodh, wobderful dooooooodh! 🙂 🙂

• vanyadhanya October 14, 2013 at 1:20 am

u got it…no one makes such stuff anymore. good old days!