When Orna Agmon and Ella Shine started a quaint little café, ‘Orna and Ella’ on Sheinkin Street, Tel Aviv way back in 1992, their only intention was to showcase traditional Israeli cuisine in a modern, contemporary way. But today, this café has become a culinary institution and boasts of a highly versatile and varied menu where gourmet dishes rub shoulders with homemade mama’s recipes.
The ‘Everything’ Salad, so aptly named by the staff at the café because it simply contained everything, has become a signature salad served at the café. The crunchy lettuce and the peppery rocket leaves try to keep their heads above the cool tomatoes and cucumbers which in turn battle with the salty feta and crispy croutons but all these get tied down with the fresh herby creamy dressing to create this bowl of healthy freshness.
For the Dressing:
1. Fresh mint – 1 cup, finely chopped
2. Fresh basil – ½ cup, finely chopped
3. Fresh parsley – 1 cup, finely chopped
4. Chives – ¼ cup, finely chopped
5. Mayonnaise – 1 cup
6. Sour cream – 100 ml
7. Salt – to season
8. Black pepper – to season
For the Salad:
9. Tomato – 4, diced
10. Cucumber – 2, diced
11. Rocket leaves – a large handful
12. Romaine lettuce – 5, roughly shredded
13. Fresh parsley – ½ cup, chopped roughly
14. Mint – ½ cup, chopped roughly
15. Feta cheese – 1 cup, cubed
16. Croutons – 1 cup
• To make the dressing, either mix ingredients 1-8 in a food processor or add finely chopped herbs to the mayo-sour cream mix.
• Mix all the ingredients for the salad in a large bowl and pour dressing on top just before serving.
Note – If you want to make croutons at home, cut any fine bread into cubes; toss in a bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread on a baking tray and bake at 170°C for 30-40 minutes. If you do not have an oven, toast the bread cubes in a non-stick pan on low heat till golden brown and crunchy. Croutons can be prepared ahead of time and stored in an airtight container.