When Orna Agmon and Ella Shine started a quaint little café, ‘Orna and Ella’ on Sheinkin Street, Tel Aviv way back in 1992, their only intention was to showcase traditional Israeli cuisine in a modern, contemporary way. But today, this café has become a culinary institution and boasts of a highly versatile and varied menu where gourmet dishes rub shoulders with homemade mama’s recipes.
The ‘Everything’ Salad, so aptly named by the staff at the café because it simply contained everything, has become a signature salad served at the café. The crunchy lettuce and the peppery rocket leaves try to keep their heads above the cool tomatoes and cucumbers which in turn battle with the salty feta and crispy croutons but all these get tied down with the fresh herby creamy dressing to create this bowl of healthy freshness.
For the Dressing:
- Fresh mint – 1 cup finely chopped
- Fresh basil – ½ cup finely chopped
- Fresh parsley – 1 cup finely chopped
- Chives – ¼ cup finely chopped
- Mayonnaise – 1 cup
- Sour cream – 100 ml
- Salt – to season
- Black pepper – to season
For the Salad:
- Tomato – 4 diced
- Cucumber – 2 diced
- Rocket leaves – a large handful
- Romaine lettuce – 5 roughly shredded
- Fresh parsley – ½ cup chopped roughly
- Mint – ½ cup chopped roughly
- Feta cheese – 1 cup cubed
- Croutons – 1 cup
- To make the dressing, either mix ingredients 1-8 in a food processor or add finely chopped herbs to the mayo-sour cream mix.
- Mix all the ingredients for the salad in a large bowl and pour dressing on top just before serving.