Gazpacho

The glorious summer days are over, autumn is here and soon the dull, dark, dreary cold winter months will be upon us. While the rest of the world welcomes spring and summer with garden fresh salads, barbecues and picnic hampers, Aussies are slowly retreating into their hibernous caves with warm hearty soups and slow cooked meat stews.

While living in India, I had never appreciated the effect of seasonal changes on food. Okay, I may drink a couple of extra glasses of buttermilk or coconut water during the peak summer days but that’s about it. But in Australia, like many other countries where seasons come and go with stark contrast, there is a huge impact on the produce, techniques and types of food prepared.

I am still holding on to the glorious interspersed rays of sunshine; quite a desperate attempt. But change is inevitable though I am not willing to embrace it yet. And making this Spanish soup is just a glimpse into that effort.

Gazpacho – a true summer soup with refreshing flavours is definitely not one for the cold winters. Served chilled, this hearty Spanish soup made from garden fresh tomatoes, cucumbers and bread is a household dish, much enjoyed all across the globe today. Simple and honest cooking, gazpacho always me of my mother – strong, rock solid and always there when I truly need her (no matter that we can’t have a conversation without fighting for 10 minutes).

This is a soup even a child can make. No rocket science – blend a few everyday ingredients and you end up with a bowl full of healthy and wholesome goodness. And though summer is practically over, this is for all my friends who live in other parts of the world. Bookmark this one for your hottest summer days…..

Recipe Courtesy – Jerez de la Frontera

1. Vine ripened tomatoes – 2 large, diced
2. Cucumber – 2, diced
3. Shallots – 2 small, diced
4. Green bell pepper – ¼ th, diced
5. Brown bread – 3 slices, moistened
6. Garlic – 2 cloves,
7. Extra virgin olive oil – 4-5 tbsp
8. Red wine vinegar (optional) – 2-3 tbsp
9. Salt – to season
10. Freshly milled black pepper – to season

• Blanch the tomatoes and peel the skin. Roughly dice and add to the food processor.
• Squeeze out the excess water and add the moistened bread along with all other ingredients except salt and pepper.
• Season with salt and pepper.
• Serve chilled, garnished with chopped cucumber and tomatoes.

Posting this gazpacho recipe to a soup event being hosted by my fellow blogger friends, Sonal (click here to view and participate) and Shruti (click here to view and participate). If you are a soup lover, then don’t miss this event!

logo

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , ,

14 thoughts on “Gazpacho

1. […] Gazpacho […]

2. Shruti June 16, 2014 at 12:51 am Reply

A wonderful soup! Easy-peasy and yes, all my favorite ingredients going in… ❤ I'm gonna try this soon!!! 🙂 Thanks a lot for bringing it to the event 🙂

• vanyadhanya June 16, 2014 at 7:39 am Reply

lovely to hear that Sonal..any the pleasure is all mine. great event…..

• Shruti June 16, 2014 at 7:50 am

Aahhh… that’s me ‘Shruti’ 🙂

• vanyadhanya June 17, 2014 at 2:19 am

ohhh…sorry. I keep getting confused between the both of you. sorry Shruti.

3. simplyvegetarian777 June 15, 2014 at 12:11 pm Reply

This is such a good soup Dhanya :). Thanks for bringing it to the event !

4. afracooking March 23, 2014 at 7:30 pm Reply

I have to tell you: I do not like soup (I think I do not understand why I should drink my food). There are a few exceptions: amuse size soup, my mom’s soup and: gazpacho. Fabulous recipe 🙂

• vanyadhanya March 23, 2014 at 11:11 pm Reply

amuse size soup…now, that’s piqued my curiosity

• afracooking March 24, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Oh, I just love a little shot glass full of some delicious little soup – great if you then add some little side bites with a totally different texture (how about a tiny glass of spicy gazpacho, an oyster and a waver thin crisp “cracker”. Cauliflower soup piece of toast and smoked eel or salmon maybe a tiny green aspargus…., )

• vanyadhanya March 24, 2014 at 10:43 pm

now u are talking….that’s a lovely idea

5. Aruna Panangipally March 19, 2014 at 6:18 am Reply

This one is a keeper, Dhanya! Will try it soon.

On a lighter note, we have just left unusually chilly winters behind and have stepped right into a blazing summer. Big bang start with 37C days.

• vanyadhanya March 19, 2014 at 6:49 am Reply

great…and like I wrote, winter is setting in full force here