Indo Chinese Chilli Lobster – a decadent twist to the classic chilli fish perfect for the party season!
I have a very vivid memory of the first time I tasted lobster.
Must have been about eight or nine years old, I was living in Dubai at that time. One of my dad’s friends who worked in the Merchant Navy had gifted him some as a Christmas present.
Lobsters were literally unheard of, at least in my home. But I could sense the excitement as if something expensive was bought home. Little did I know that it was indeed super expensive and quite an out-of-reach ingredient for most people.
I don’t remember clearly what was the exact dish my mom cooked but it was a South Indian one, pretty much like how she would cook prawns. The lobster meat tasted sweet and plump, and I couldn’t really see the comparison with prawns. And that taste remained a memory for so many years till I moved to Australia.
While it is still expensive, lobster is no longer an out of reach ingredient. It is available easily at leading seafood stores, and very common during the summer months.
Lobster always evokes a sense of indulgence and that makes it the ideal choice during the festive season. The lobster meat is so succulent, juicy and sweet that it needs very little accompanying flavours.
But today I am going a bit heavy handed with the flavours.
Indo Chinese is one of our favourite cuisines and thus came the idea of putting a spin on a much loved classic. So this Indo Chinese Chilli Lobster is a true indulgence for the taste buds!
This Indo Chinese Chilli Lobster is an excellent side dish or starter to serve at your parties and its fingerlickin good with sweet, spicy flavours coating the lobster pieces. You could serve it on a beautiful platter as shown or serve it inside the shell of the lobster if kept intact.
Indo Chinese Chilli Lobster
- 2 Lobster tails
- 1 medium red onion; diced
- 1 green bell pepper/capsicum; diced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 inch ginger; julienned
- 1 large red chilli; sliced less heat variety
- 1-2 tbsp chilli sauce depending on heat preferences
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- Salt; to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves; for garnish
- Cook the lobster tails in salted boiling water till the shell turns bright red and the meat has just cooked. (Approximate timings would be 8-10 minutes for tails weighing 300gms)
- Once cooked, cut lengthwise through the shell on the thinner side to pull out the meat in whole. Cut the meat into large cubes and keep aside.
- In a large pan, heat the butter and oil.
- Add the ginger, onions, bell peppers and chilli; sauté on high for a minute.
- Next add the soy sauce, chilli sauce and chilli powder.
- Mix well and add the lobster pieces.
- Season with salt if necessary and mix well to combine. Saute on high for another 1-2 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve warm
Reblogged this on mamabatesmotel.