The memories associated with this dish run long and deep. This was always a family favourite and by family, I mean my dad, mom and siblings. My dad would always buy different parts of the chicken like kidney, heart, gizzard, liver etc… and mum would prepare this super simple dish which went perfect with phulkas or pita bread.
Among all the different parts, gizzard remains my favourite with its slightly chewy texture (which many people do not like). After marriage, I was a little hesitant to tell my in-laws how much I loved this stuff but to my surprise discovered other gizzard lovers – my MIL and SIL. And this began to be our little kitchen secret – every time a chicken dish was prepared, my MIL would very lovingly remove the gizzard pieces and call me and my sister in law to the kitchen where we three would devour it!
Recently on my trip to the market, found chicken hearts and gizzards and had to prepare this dish this is so reminiscent of my culinary childhood memories.
1. Chicken heart – 250 gms
2. Chicken gizzard – 250 gms
3. Garlic – 3 cloves, crushed
4. Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
5. Kashmiri chilli powder – 1 tsp
6. Curry leaves – a big handful
7. Salt – to season
8. Black pepper – ¼ tsp
9. Coconut oil – 3 tbsp
10. Coriander leaves – chopped, for garnish
• Pressure cook the chicken parts with salt and pepper for one whistle. Do not add any water.
• In another pan, heat coconut oil, add crushed garlic and curry leaves. Saute for a minute and add the chilli powders.
• Transfer the cooked chicken along with the stock and cook on high flame till a dry consistency is attained.
• Garnish with coriander leaves.
Tagged: Chicken, chicken fry, chicken giblet recipe, chicken gizzard, chicken gizzard recipe, chicken heart, chicken recipe, cooking chicken giblet, cooking with chicken, giblet, giblet recipes, heart fry