This dish is an adaptation of a long-standing, frequently-prepared chicken dish in my home. Ever since I can remember, my mum used to prepare this chicken dish which in her words, is the easiest chicken recipe which anyone (and I vouch for this!) can make.
Like the name indicates, this tomato chilli chicken recipe has red chilli powder and tomato as the star ingredients. A good handful of crushed garlic lends the classic aromatic flavour to the chicken. You can use any type of chicken – with or without bones; but ensure that the pieces are small to get the flavours work right through the meat.
So here’s the recipe for easy peasy tomato chilli chicken.
1. Chicken pieces – 500 gm
2. Garlic – 5 cloves, crushed
3. Curry leaves – ½ cup
4. Red chilli powder – 1 ½ tbsp (quantity can be adjusted depending on how hot your prefer)
5. Tomato – 1 ripe, roughly chopped
6. Salt – to season
7. Pepper – to season
8. Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp, chopped for garnish
9. Vegetable oil – 3 tbsp
• Pressure cook the chicken pieces with salt and pepper for one whistle. Do not add any water. If you are not using a pressure cooker, then cook the chicken pieces with salt and pepper in a deep pan with minimal water till 3/4 ths done.
• In another deep pan, heat oil; add the crushed garlic and curry leaves.
• Then add the red chilli powder and tomatoes. Saute on high heat till the oil clears and the tomatoes turn mushy.
• Add the broth from the cooked chicken pieces; continue cooking on high heat till the gravy thickens. Add the chicken pieces and continue to cook till the gravy just about coats the chicken.
• Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.