This dish is an adaptation of a long-standing, frequently-prepared chicken dish in my home. Ever since I can remember, my mum used to prepare this chicken dish which in her words, is the easiest chicken recipe which anyone (and I vouch for this!) can make.
Like the name indicates, this tomato chilli chicken recipe has red chilli powder and tomato as the star ingredients. A good handful of crushed garlic lends the classic aromatic flavour to the chicken. You can use any type of chicken – with or without bones; but ensure that the pieces are small to get the flavours work right through the meat.
So here’s the recipe for easy peasy tomato chilli chicken.
Tomato Chilli Chicken
- Chicken pieces – 500 gm
- Garlic – 5 cloves crushed
- Curry leaves – ½ cup
- Red chilli powder – 1 ½ tbsp quantity can be adjusted depending on how hot your prefer
- Tomato – 1 ripe roughly chopped
- Salt – to season
- Pepper – to season
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp chopped for garnish
- Vegetable oil – 3 tbsp
- Pressure cook the chicken pieces with salt and pepper for one whistle. Do not add any water. If you are not using a pressure cooker, then cook the chicken pieces with salt and pepper in a deep pan with minimal water till 3/4 ths done.
- In another deep pan, heat oil; add the crushed garlic and curry leaves.
- Then add the red chilli powder and tomatoes. Saute on high heat till the oil clears and the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add the broth from the cooked chicken pieces; continue cooking on high heat till the gravy thickens. Add the chicken pieces and continue to cook till the gravy just about coats the chicken.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.