We all need simple, no fail, quick to make recipes to see us through the week and this one is perfect for that. It is also a great one for ‘kitchen beginners’.
Masaaledar Anda or eggs in an onion masala is a perfect accompaniment for dosas, rotis, phulkas, in fact breads of any kind. Well, I could eat it with rice too!
A quick tip to get perfect hard boiled eggs – one whistle in the pressure cooker! Yes, you heard it right. Wash the eggs and place in the pressure cooker; add a pinch of salt. Put off after one whistle and you get perfect hard boiled eggs. Saves a lot of time…
So, let’s get cooking Masaaledar Anda – a simple, quick, delicious dish with onions and boiled eggs.
1. Eggs – 6
2. Red onion – 3, sliced finely
3. Garlic cloves – 3, chopped
4. Curry leaves – a handful
5. Tomato – 2, sliced finely
6. Green chillies – 1-2, slit (adjust to suit your spice level preference)
7. Red chilli powder – ½ – 1 tsp (If you want a deeper red colour for the dish, use half the quantity red chilli powder and half Kashmiri chilli powder).
8. Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
9. Salt – to taste
10. Coriander leaves – for garnish, chopped
11. Vegetable oil – 2 – 3 tbsp.
• Hard boil the eggs (I used the pressure cooker; use whichever method you want), remove the shell and cut in halves. Keep aside.
• In a pan, heat oil and add sliced onions. Saute for 3 minutes.
• Add curry leaves, garlic and green chillies and sauté again till onions are light golden
• Add the tomatoes and sauté for another 5 minutes.
• Add the spices and season with salt.
• Saute again till the masala comes together; add water to loosen up the gravy a little. (Skip water if you like it dry).
• Add the boiled eggs and mix gently. Remove from heat and garnish with coriander leaves.