After coming to Melbourne, my culinary world has opened up to so many new ingredients – some of which I did not even know existed in this world. And one among those is the purple asparagus! I have had green asparagus before and have always enjoyed the crunchy texture of these stalks. So when I came across these purple ones at the local farmer’s market, I knew I had to try and make something interesting with it.
I have always had asparagus as an accompaniment, roasted or blanched, with meats. I went ahead and did a rice dish, chopping these beautiful asparagus along with some brown mushrooms and seasoned with hot Cajun seasoning. The result – a pilaf, pulao or fried rice; name it what you want.
This one is a simple and easy to make rice dish, perfect for weekday dinners. Add a cucumber raita/yoghurt dip and you are good to go!
Now, let’s get cooking….
1. Long-grained rice – 2 cups, soaked and drained
2. White onion – 1 large, chopped
3. Purple asparagus (remove the bottom ends) – 4 stalks, chopped
4. Brown mushrooms – 4 large, chopped
5. Garlic – 2 cloves, chopped finely
6. Coriander leaves – ½ cup, finely chopped
7. Cajun seasoning – 2 tsp (add more to suit your taste preferences)
8. Salt – to season
9. Black pepper – to season
10. Vegetable oil – 3 tbsp.
• Cook the rice in salted boiling water, drain well and keep aside.
• Heat oil in a pan, add garlic and onions; sauté for a minute.
• Then add the mushrooms and asparagus and sauté for another 2 minutes on high heat.
• Lower heat and season with Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper. Remember that the rice has been cooked in salted water so add salt accordingly.
• Add coriander leaves and stir well.
• Add the rice and mix well to combine.
• Serve with chilled cucumber raita/yoghurt dip.
What is your favourite rice dish?
Tagged: Asparagus, asparagus mushroom rice, asparagus recipes, aspragus rice, brown mushroom rice, brown mushrooms, Cajun, cajun fried rice, cajun rice, Cajun seasoning, cajun spice mix, healthy rice recipes, mushrooms, purple asparagus, rice recipes, simple rice recipes