Time’s flying, ain’t it! This month, the guest blogger I would like to introduce is Linda who blogs at La Petite Paniere. Like I have always said, blogging has introduced me to people from across the globe. Linda is from Algeria but currently lives in Dubai with her family. Wow, Algeria – a country I know nothing about.
If you are a lover of International cuisine, then Linda’s blog is a must visit. You can really get to learn and understand more about traditional Algerian cuisine and dishes. Linda has a way with making her dishes look so delectably gorgeous; go take a look! And my favourite section of her blog – the traditional Algerian dishes.
Today, Linda brings us a batch of freshly baked, melt in your mouth almond rings sprinkled abundantly with decadent pistachios. I loved these almond rings; not only can these made in a jiffy, these are healthy and a perfect snack or tiffin-box addition for your children. I can easily see myself baking a batch of these for my ‘almond crazy’ son.
So here’s goes the recipe for Almond rings – simple yet indulgent.
In Linda’s words;
‘This recipe is from my family; we love to enjoy these little rings in the afternoon with a good “cafe au lait”. Bon Appétit.
- 100 g of powdered almond
- 200 g of wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- 100 g of caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 170 g of soft butter
- Powdered pistachio for garnish
- 1 egg yolk for brushing
- In a food processor add the almond powder, flour, baking powder and the vanilla sugar.
- Mix for a few seconds, add the egg yolks and mix again to combine.
- Finally add the soft butter.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and cover the dough with a plastic wrap.
- Put the dough into the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C degrees.
- Flour a clean surface and roll out the dough into a long log.
- Cut into long sticks of 15 centimetres length and 3 centimetres wide then join the two ends to form a ring.
- Flour a cookie pan and place the rings on the top.
- Brush the rings with egg yolk and sprinkle the pistachio powder on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes, till the bottom turns golden; then turn off the oven and keep the rings for 10 more minutes in the oven.
- Remove allow to cool for 30 minutes.