Tomato Egg Chutney

Indian cuisine is perhaps, the most diverse in the world. The cuisine, produce, ingredients, techniques do not just differ from state to state but can be unbelievably diverse within the different parts of a state.

Having spent an entire childhood abroad, my vision of Indian cuisine was largely restricted to my home state, Kerala. Apart from the occasional mithais/sweets that our Gujarati neighbour gifted us for Diwali, I thought everyone ate the same kind of food in India.

That perception largely changed when I settled back in India for my college studies and decided to make the neighbouring state of Tamil Nadu as my home. The stark difference in the cuisine surprised me and this coupled with my blossoming interest in culture, food and travel soon opened my eyes to the vibrant, layered and deeply rich Indian cuisine.

Again, the cuisine of Tamil Nadu varies from widely from region to region from the rich and vibrant Chettinad cuisine to the vegetarian fare of the Madras Brahmins. As my life unfolded in this state and post marriage into a Tamilian household, I learnt of the influences, styles and techniques that have given rise to the present day cuisine.

One of the first recipes and probably the simplest that I learnt from my mother-in-law is this tomato egg chutney which was a breakfast regular especially with piping, hot dosas. I did get a bit of a shocker when she told me about adding the egg to the chutney. I simply couldn’t comprehend the flavours inside my head.

The important thing with this chutney is the texture. The egg is added at the very end and immediately taken off the heat to ensure it stays creamy and does not go scrambled. Reminded me of the shakshuka but the end result was very different.

So, here is the tomato egg chutney – the perfect accompaniment to dosas (I have it as a spread too, slathered on my favourite toast).

This tomato egg chutney is rich with bold flavours, creamy, colourful and of course finger-lickin good!

To this day, my hubby wants to believe that I cannot make this one ‘like his mom’…though I know I make it quite well indeed!

1. 4-5 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
2. 1 small red onion, finely chopped
3. 2 sprigs Curry leaves
4. 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or crushed
5. ½ tsp Mustard seeds
6. 1/4th tsp turmeric powder
7. ½ tsp Red chilli powder
8. 2 green chilli, slit lengthwise
9. 2 tbsp vegetable oil
10. Salt – to taste
11. A pinch of sugar
12. 1 whole egg

• Heat oil in a pan and crackle mustard seeds.
• Then add chopped garlic and onion; sauté till light brown.
• Add the curry leaves, green chilli and then add the chopped tomatoes.
• Saute on high heat for about 3-4 minutes and then lower the heat.
• Add the spices along with salt.
• If necessary, add water. (Sometimes, the tomatoes are ripe and juicy in which case extra water may not be required).
• Cover the pan and simmer gently till the chutney consistency is reached.
• Crack in one egg, remove from flame and mix in thoroughly to get a creamy consistency. (If you continue to cook, you end up with scrambled eggs)
• Serve hot with idly, dosa…just about anything.

PS – This recipe has appeared before on my blog, but I re-shot the pictures and hence the new post.

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

36 thoughts on “Tomato Egg Chutney

1. […] When I first came across this recipe, I found it a bit strange as it mentioned the use of eggs. Now I have never paired fish and eggs or eaten a similar combination before so it all sounded weird. But still the flavours struck a chord because it reminded me of this tomato egg chutney. […]

2. Anu Yalo July 14, 2016 at 8:26 am Reply

Very nice!!

3. Sherin George September 29, 2015 at 12:54 pm Reply

Tried this today and absolutely loved it! Thank you 🙂

• vanyadhanya September 29, 2015 at 1:55 pm Reply

awesome; happy to hear that you enjoyed it.

4. Deepa. September 1, 2015 at 10:54 am Reply

Thats an interesting twist to the red chutney…..will be trying it for sure. Many thanks.

5. chefceaser February 9, 2015 at 2:30 pm Reply

Reblogged this on Chef Ceaser.

6. purabinaha February 9, 2015 at 3:23 am Reply

Dhanya, I was not aware of this chutney, until I landed here. This looks easy and the egg was really the surprise factor. Tamil food is full of surprises!
    Regards: Purabi Naha @ Cosmopolitan Currymania

• vanyadhanya February 9, 2015 at 6:15 am Reply

Oh yes, suddenly my MIl would could something and I would be like…wow! I guess its safe to say, Indian food is so full of surprises.

7. champagnecole February 9, 2015 at 2:43 am Reply

I have to admit that egg in chutney got my attention. This looks lovely and rich.

• vanyadhanya February 9, 2015 at 6:15 am Reply

thanks Nicole; you seem to be having a gala time. How did ur Mornington Peninsula trip go?

• champagnecole February 9, 2015 at 9:03 am

Oh I wish I could use the word gala. Mornington was lovely but lasted less than 48 hours. I am cramming study into every spare minute and spent the afternoon spitting out exquisite expensive riesling. I need a holiday.

• vanyadhanya February 9, 2015 at 10:40 am

To us mortals, spitting out Riesling sounds fun; but I get your pain.

• champagnecole February 9, 2015 at 11:08 pm

I’m sorry. That was all a bit whingey. The riesling tasting was excellent and I was very glad to go. I’m just all a bit down due to study issues, a complete lack of rest time and some major upheaval at work.

• vanyadhanya February 10, 2015 at 3:42 am

Don’t be sorry dear; I get it….been there, done that. Its just a phase….

8. Elaine @ foodbod February 8, 2015 at 6:52 am Reply

I am in love!!! will definitely be making this 🙂

• vanyadhanya February 8, 2015 at 9:22 am Reply

Do try it Elaine…and let me know if you enjoyed it as much as I did

• Elaine @ foodbod February 8, 2015 at 9:24 am

Once you’ve added the egg, do you have to eat it all immediately? Can you eat leftovers the next day?

• vanyadhanya February 8, 2015 at 9:26 am

You can definitely keep it in the fridge. The only thing to take care is to control the heat and mix the egg through to get that creamy consisteny or it just goes scrambled.

• Elaine @ foodbod February 8, 2015 at 9:28 am

Okay, so you just stir it through the mixture completely at a low heat?

• vanyadhanya February 8, 2015 at 11:33 pm

Yes. If you have been cooking the chutney on a high heat, then take it off the flame and break in an egg. Stir through well to dissipate the heat and mix in the egg. The residual heat is enough to cook the egg.

• Elaine @ foodbod February 9, 2015 at 6:01 am

9. Sandhya February 6, 2015 at 2:51 pm Reply

This looks absolutely scrumptious! I also love the colors and the presentation. Great recipe!

10. simplyvegetarian777 February 6, 2015 at 5:17 am Reply

Bring it to ff 54 dear!

• vanyadhanya February 6, 2015 at 11:39 am Reply

ff is Friday fiesta rite?

• simplyvegetarian777 February 6, 2015 at 12:39 pm

• vanyadhanya February 6, 2015 at 1:39 pm

I have noticed it a couple of times on your blog, but can u please tell me how does it work

• simplyvegetarian777 February 6, 2015 at 3:13 pm

Dhanya. I will attach the click to join button and then you can link the post. Also it is recommended to refer to Angie’s blog and the 2 co hosts blog on your post. Your work is so good! You got to be there.

• vanyadhanya February 7, 2015 at 1:38 am

thanks Sonal; will be checking it out.

• simplyvegetarian777 February 6, 2015 at 3:15 pm

Or you can go to Angie’s post of ff and click the button from there

• vanyadhanya February 7, 2015 at 1:37 am

sure, will take a look

11. machinegunmeow February 6, 2015 at 5:17 am Reply

I’m totally distracted by that dosa! It looks sensational!
    Will be making this chutney this weekend. It looks great and sounds right up my alley. Thanks for sharing the recipe 👏

• vanyadhanya February 6, 2015 at 11:40 am Reply

Hope you enjoy it and remember, control the heat or u will end up with delicious scrambled eggs

12. simplyvegetarian777 February 6, 2015 at 4:20 am Reply

Amazing chutney Dhanya and so new to me.