These Hashbrown Muffins stuffed with ham, cheese and sundried tomatoes are a delicious treat for everyone, especially the little ones. Perfect school or after school snacks that are healthy and nutritious.
Who doesn’t love a good hashbrown….crispy, golden goodness that make our mornings brighter and delicious.
But what could be better? Oven baked hashbrown muffins generously endowed with ham, parmesan and sundried tomatoes. Now we are talking….
I have been wanting to make some savoury muffins for a while now but pushed it off till the school term began again. It was #backtoschool today and these hashbrown muffins seemed like the perfect treat to welcome my boy home after his first day in Grade 2.
The idea for a hashbrown muffin came from the blog ‘Recipe Tin Eats’; she used bacon in her recipe but I wanted to create a flavour that Adi enjoys. So it had to be ham and cheese! For that extra flavour punch, some finely chopped sundried tomatoes did the job. And a generous sprinkle of parsley for that refreshing, herby goodness.
A simple and easy to make recipe, these savoury hashbrown muffins are excellent for parties or when you need to feed a crowd. Also freezes well, so you can make a batch ahead and re-heat it when necessary. And of course, a great lunch box recipe. Do not hesitate to experiment adding flavours that you or your kids enjoy. For a vegetarian version, I am thinking a hashbrown with ricotta and spinach.
Do you make savoury muffins? I would love to hear about your recipes, so please drop in a comment below. And if you do make these hashbrown muffins, make sure you tag me using #thespiceadventuress so that I would not miss it.
Have you tried out these Omelette Brochettes? Another favourite lunch box treat in my home….
So, let’s get on to the recipe;
Hashbrown Muffins with Ham, Cheese and Sundried Tomatoes
- 100 gms ham; chopped finely
- 1.2 kg potatoes any starchy variety; grated
- ½ cup sundried tomatoes; chopped finely
- 2 tbsp parsley; finely chopped
- Salt to season
- Freshly milled black pepper; to season
- 1 cup mozzarella; grated or any melting cheese
- Sauté the ham on low heat till lightly browned. Keep aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C fan forced (180°C for conventional).
- Wash the grated potatoes once or twice in cold water to remove excess starch. Squeeze out the excess water in small batches and place in a bowl.
- Add the ham (reserve a bit for garnish), cheese, sundried tomatoes and 1 tbsp parsley to the potatoes; season with salt and pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Oil the muffin tray well (even if it is nonstick); scoop about ½ cup of the potato mixture and place in each muffin well. Flatten the top lightly with the back of a spoon.
- Oven bake for about 20-25 minutes or till the top has taken a golden brown colour.
- Garnish with the remaining ham and parsley; serve warm.