Hashbrown Muffins with Ham, Cheese and Sundried Tomatoes

Hashbrowns!

Who doesn’t love a good hashbrown….crispy, golden goodness that make our mornings brighter and delicious.

But what could be better? Oven baked hashbrown muffins generously endowed with ham, parmesan and sundried tomatoes. Now we are talking….

Hashbrown Muffins with Ham, Cheese and Sundried Tomatoes - a savoury kid friendly snack perfect for lunch boxes and parties alike - thespiceadventuress.com

I have been wanting to make some savoury muffins for a while now but pushed it off till the school term began again. It was #backtoschool today and these hashbrown muffins seemed like the perfect treat to welcome my boy home after his first day in Grade 2.

The idea for a hashbrown muffin came from the blog ‘Recipe Tin Eats’; she used bacon in her recipe but I wanted to create a flavour that Adi enjoys. So it had to be ham and cheese! For that extra flavour punch, some finely chopped sundried tomatoes did the job. And a generous sprinkle of parsley for that refreshing, herby goodness.

A simple and easy to make recipe, these savoury muffins are excellent for parties or when you need to feed a crowd. Also freezes well, so you can make a batch ahead and re-heat it when necessary. And of course, a great lunch box recipe. Do not hesitate to experiment adding flavours that you or your kids enjoy. For a vegetarian version, I am thinking a hashbrown with ricotta and spinach.

Do you make savoury muffins? I would love to hear about your recipes, so please drop in a comment below. And if you do make these hashbrown muffins, make sure you tag me using #thespiceadventuress so that I would not miss it.

So, let’s get on to the recipe;

(Makes about 20 muffins)

1. 100gms ham; chopped finely
  2. 1.2 kg potatoes (any starchy variety); grated
  3. ½ cup sundried tomatoes; chopped finely
  4. 2 tbsp parsley; finely chopped
  5. Salt, to season
  6. Freshly milled black pepper; to season
  7. 1 cup mozzarella; grated (or any melting cheese)

1. Sauté the ham on low heat till lightly browned. Keep aside.
  2. Pre-heat the oven to 160°C fan forced (180°C for conventional).
  3. Wash the grated potatoes once or twice in cold water to remove excess starch. Squeeze out the excess water in small batches and place in a bowl.
  4. Add the ham (reserve a bit for garnish), cheese, sundried tomatoes and 1 tbsp parsley to the potatoes; season with salt and pepper. Mix well to combine.
  5. Oil the muffin tray well (even if it is nonstick); scoop about ½ cup of the potato mixture and place in each muffin well. Flatten the top lightly with the back of a spoon.
  6. Oven bake for about 20-25 minutes or till the top has taken a golden brown colour.
  7. Garnish with the remaining ham and parsley; serve warm.

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

18 thoughts on “Hashbrown Muffins with Ham, Cheese and Sundried Tomatoes

1. […] featured recipes can be found here and here. You can also download the e-version of the cookbooks […]

2. simplyvegetarian777 March 9, 2017 at 2:30 pm Reply

What a fabulous idea Dhanya!! 😍

• vanyadhanya March 9, 2017 at 11:02 pm Reply

Thanks dear; busy moms need more hacks like these right.

3. […] Hashbrown Muffins with Ham, Cheese and Sundried Tomatoes […]

4. Vicki @ Boiled Eggs & Soldiers July 4, 2016 at 12:08 pm Reply

These look and sound delicious and I can’t wait to taste them too! Thanks so much for sharing with YWF x

5. The Purple Ladle July 3, 2016 at 10:24 am Reply

I love how clever these are – no flour as well! I make zucchini savoury muffins a lot but would like to try other options as I love how they hit the hunger spot without the sugar!

• vanyadhanya July 3, 2016 at 12:44 pm Reply

Totally. Never made zucchini ones before, do you have a good recipe?

6. Shari from GoodFoodWeek July 1, 2016 at 7:46 am Reply

These sound delicious and definitely would be a hit in my household – I think I’ll whip them up this weekend!

7. lazymomcooking January 31, 2016 at 11:17 pm Reply

This is a very good idea!!! Thank you for sharing this 🙂

Please visit and follow my blog (www.lazymomcooking.wordpress.com) or my Instagram (lazymom_cooking) for some recipe ideas

8. Sowmiasgalley January 30, 2016 at 1:28 am Reply

Hash browns in the form of muffins, what a lovely idea! That too with sun dried tomatoes. Sounds super yumm.

9. Pavithra January 29, 2016 at 5:52 pm Reply

Can I replace ham with anything vegetarian?

• vanyadhanya January 30, 2016 at 3:34 am Reply

yes you may Pavithra; sauteed mushrooms would be good or spinach. But make sure it is not too wet when u add to the mixture

10. Maria January 29, 2016 at 5:58 am Reply

When do we have to add cheese? Is it along with other ingredients into the bowl of potatoes?

• vanyadhanya January 29, 2016 at 7:07 am Reply

Yes Maria, all the ingredients to be added together. I will edit it now; thanks for bringing it to my attention. Much appreciated