Christmas in July! A few weeks ago I had posted my thoughts on this on Instagram and the special dinner I made for my family.
Initially I had no plans of posting the recipes here. But I had taken a lot of photographs as it was also part of a social media collaboration with ALDI Australia. The food turned out amazing and I got a lot of requests for the recipes so eventually I decided to jot it down here too. I am sure it’s gonna come handy when we all celebrate the traditional Christmas season.
Pan roasted potatoes with smoked salmon, red onion, capers, dill and drizzled with olive oil; this was the appetizer that I served for our celebratory dinner. And paired it with the Blue Pyrenees Midnight Cuvee (2014).
The smoked salmon/caper/red onion pairing is a classic one, traditionally enjoyed with bagels and cream cheese. Today, there are all sorts of variations to this and this potato version is one of them.
Using potatoes instead of bagel keeps it lighter and bite sized, which makes it perfect to be served as an appetizer or canapé. Cream cheese can be avoided too. It’s important to use even, medium sized potatoes to get the perfect shape (and also to get maximum slices from a single potato).
As I mentioned, the flavours are still classic with smoked salmon, capers, red onion and dill. It’s easy to make ahead; only the potatoes need to be parboiled and then finished off in a pan at the time of serving. The rest of the components can be prepped ahead too which makes it an excellent choice to serve at parties even when there are many guests.
And if you try out this recipe, do tag me #thespiceadventuress in your post, so that I can see it too.
Recipe adapted from Coles Magazine
- 2-3 even medium sized potatoes
- 100gms smoked salmon
- ½ red onion; thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp capers
- Fresh dill
- Extra virgin olive oil
- ½ lemon
- 2-3 tbsp cooking oil
- Salt, to season
- Peel and cut the potatoes into 1 – 1 ½ inch slices
- Parboil the potato slices in slightly salted water; drain and keep aside.
- Heat the cooking oil in a pan; fry the potatoes on both sides just enough to get some colour and crisp up the outside.
- Remove and arrange on a platter.
- Top each potato slice with smoked salmon, red onion slices, capers and dill. Squeeze lemon on top and drizzle a little olive oil just before serving.