Mutton vindaloo

The ‘vindaloo’ is a famous traditional Goan dish usually prepared using pork meat. Culinary history has it that this dish was inspired by a Portugese dish which used meat, wine and garlic. When the Portugese left, the Anglo-Indian settlers of the region re-created that dish using local ingredients like vinegar to bring about the same sour taste.

Today owing to the popularity that the vindaloo enjoys, both within and outside India, it is prepared using different meats like beef, mutton etc. My recipe is a tweak of the original and traditional one but using the key ingredients, vinegar and garlic along with an array of spices. A ‘cheat’ version if you must call it so….

Mildly spiced but with a myriad of flavours bursting in your mouth – this mutton vindaloo recipe is a must try if you are a meat-lover.

1. 1 kg mutton (with bones, cut into curry pieces)
2. 2 tbsp ghee
3. 3 onions; finely chopped
4. 1 tbsp ginger paste
5. 1 tbsp garlic paste
6. 1/2 tsp cumin/jeera seeds
7. 7-8 dry red chilli; broken into half (adjust to suit heat preferences)
8. 1 inch cinnamon bark
9. 1/2 tsp garam masala
10. 1/2 tsp fennel/perinjeera seeds
11. salt; to season
12. 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
13. 2 large tomatoes; finely chopped
14. 2 medium potatoes; diced
15. 1 tbsp vinegar
16. Juice of 1/2 lemon

• Heat ghee in a pressure cooker and sauté the onions till light brown. Then add ginger and garlic and sauté again.

• Next, add cumin, dry red chilli, cinnamon, garam masala, fennel and salt to taste. Saute for another minute and then add the tomatoes. Cook till the tomatoes are completely broken down and turns mushy.

• Add the mutton pieces, season with salt and mix well. Add a dash of vinegar and enough water for gravy. Pressure cook till the mutton is 3/4 ths done; open and add the potatoes. Cook further on medium heat till done. This will also help the gravy to thicken.

• Squeeze some lemon juice and garnish with coriander leaves.

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 thoughts on “Mutton vindaloo

1. Kim Spiteri May 13, 2016 at 11:08 pm Reply

Oh this looks amazing. I like a vindaloo but not as western as we make it, it doesnt need to be so hot. I like my heat but I love my spice more, so I actually want to be able to taste it. lol
    I’ll have to share this with hubby he’d love this recipe.
    Thanks for linking up to YWF. x

• vanyadhanya May 14, 2016 at 2:05 am Reply

Thanks so much Kim; I totally agree on the less heat more spice bit which is what I often try to achieve with my cooking too. This is a very doable recipe so hope you really enjoy it.

2. divya February 18, 2014 at 4:52 pm Reply

awesome…I made it and it came out well…next will try lamb stew…will post a pic soon…

3. feedingthesonis November 6, 2013 at 12:25 am Reply

That looks yummo…ill give it a try soon..can you tell me what perinjeera is and if they are available at Indian grocers?

• vanyadhanya November 6, 2013 at 1:35 am Reply

perinjeera is saunf or fennel seeds…easily available at all spice stores.

4. Maria November 5, 2013 at 11:52 am Reply

I dunno where to start.. Jus remember u enquiring abt the blogs few months back and now u r having a great food blog here with so many followers and hits. Its a great achievement in a very less time. Mindblowing! Really appreciate your interest and hardwork behind this. Wish you the very best in life, in all your future experiments. God bless u!
    – maria 🙂

• vanyadhanya November 5, 2013 at 11:42 pm Reply

thanks a lot for the kind words dear……it is truly appreciated