Crispy Grilled Chicken – and a Nomination for the Kidspot Voices of 2014

I am thrilled, excited, honoured, humbled….beyond measure, beyond words! My blog has been nominated for Kidspot Voices of 2014 – a nationwide competition conducted in Australia highlighting and showcasing the best blogging talent of this country. For me, this nomination has been the highest recognition I have received so far ever since I started blogging (roughly 8 months ago).

Now most of you would be like, ‘this is just a nomination, you haven’t won anything.’ But for me, this nomination is like a prize in itself. I feel truly honoured to be a part of this list in just 8 months; my blog (a result of immense hard work and dedication) has been noticed and considered worthy to be nominated for this massive competition.

Now I know that I stand no chance of going into the next round, forget even winning – but this will be an experience that I am not going to forget for a very very long time. I proudly post this nomination badge in honour of each and every one of you who have supported and encouraged me along this journey but more as a personal reminder that ‘dreams can come true if you have the courage and the conviction to chase it.’

Voices2104-nominee

Coming back to the recipe today, this one is sure to be a resounding hit with both the young and old alike. After all, who does not like crispy grilled chicken!

This recipe is a simple and healthy take on the infamous KFC (Kentucky fried chicken). Like I mentioned, it is extremely simple to prepare and requires very few ingredients. I paired the chicken with a spicy green salad but you can go traditional and serve with a side of potato wedges or fries and coleslaw.

This one is a delight to make if you have little ones at home. Healthy and natural ingredients ensure that your toddler/little one is not just super happy but good on his tummy too. So the next time your kiddos go, let’s buy KFC…this is what you need to make.

So let’s get started on crispy, deliciously succulent grilled chicken….

Recipe Courtesy – Coles magazine

1. Skinless chicken drumsticks – 4
2. Skinless chicken thigh fillets – 4
3. Buttermilk – 1 cup
4. Plain savoury crackers – 1 packet/150 gm
5. Mild paprika – 2 tsp (if you do not have paprika, use kashmiri chilli powder instead)
6. Freshly milled black pepper – 2 tsp
7. Salt – to season

• Mix buttermilk, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the chicken pieces and coat well in this mixture. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour; longer would be better.
• Preheat oven to 200°C (180° C if fan-forced). Grease the wire rack and place inside a baking dish or tray.
• Crumble the crackers and mix the paprika and salt through in a bowl. Remember that salt has also been added to the buttermilk marinade.
• Coat each chicken piece in the crumb mixture, pressing lightly to ensure it coats well. Place the chicken pieces on the wire rack and bake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes or till golden and crispy.
• Serve hot with a salad/fries/coleslaw/mayo/ketchup….and enjoy!

Picture1

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

17 thoughts on “Crispy Grilled Chicken – and a Nomination for the Kidspot Voices of 2014

1. […] salad is quite versatile and can be paired in so many ways. Goes beautifully with this delicious crispy grilled chicken or maybe this salmon fry or perhaps these juicy […]

2. […] won a nomination; it meant the world to me even then. Would you like to read that post? It’s all here, and there’s an amazing recipe […]

3. Nidhi August 28, 2014 at 2:20 pm Reply

Thanks Vanya!! I am gonna try it this weekend.

• vanyadhanya August 28, 2014 at 11:52 pm Reply

great to hear that Nidhi, do drop in a line and let me know how it turned out.

4. Nidhi August 28, 2014 at 7:27 am Reply

Hi!! grt recipe.. can’t wait to try.. just a novice question, what should be the function setting of the oven? both rods heated or only top or only bottom??? and the placement for the wire rack?? middle of the oven?? Stupid qs but i need to know,, and congrats for the nomination. .. hope u win!

• vanyadhanya August 28, 2014 at 7:47 am Reply

Nidhi, I use a fan forced oven setting which means both rods heated and distributed throughout. Place the wire rack in the middle till the chicken is almost cooked (check by piercing with a fork or knife). If the coating has not crisped up or browned, then raise the wire rack to the top for the last 5 minutes or max 10 minutes.

5. […] start drooling all over! She had been nominated for the Kidspot Voices of 2014 and her Crunchy Crispy Grilled Chicken is […]

6. […] When I first read this recipe, it excited me beyond measure because I have never really had a salad that has a spice quotient to it. This is a spicy salad but that does not mean it has the numbing, fiery heat that takes away from the flavour of the vegetables. It is best paired with grilled meat; for me it was this juicy and succulent grilled chicken (https://skinnychefdecuisine.wordpress.com/2014/04/09/crispy-grilled-chicken-and-a-nomination-for-the-&#8230😉 […]

7. dreamsmyrecipes April 9, 2014 at 10:57 pm Reply

Congrats!!!

8. Shalzzz April 9, 2014 at 9:56 pm Reply

Congrats Vanya… More to come 🙂 🙂 All the best!!

9. Prashanth Kpp April 9, 2014 at 7:36 pm Reply

Dhanya, Congratulations and a deserving one at that. Great perseverance, hard work, majestic imagination and skillful writing talent has gone your way into this recognition.

If this is the first step, rest assured you are in for more surprises. We the readers and followers of your blog are delighted to say the least. A pat for this huge success.

Once again Congratulations! 🙂 🙂

• vanyadhanya April 9, 2014 at 10:56 pm Reply

thanks a ton Prashanth for etching these encouraging and supportive words….it is the love that all of you have shown that has helped me go forward with this endeavour.

10. feedingthesonis April 9, 2014 at 5:39 am Reply

Congrats sweety..am so happy for you. Its indeed great and exciting news and well deserved.😘 All the best and may you get more nominations and wins.

• vanyadhanya April 9, 2014 at 11:38 am Reply

thanks Sanju…I really felt so honoured for this one