It has been raining incessantly the whole week. It’s wet and cold but I love this weather and the only thing I really want to do is snuggle under the blanket with a mug of coffee and a good book.
But miles and miles – oops sorry, chores and chores to be done before I go to sleep…..
I am in no mood for cooking up elaborate stuff or experiment with anything new. This mildly spiced chickpea potato dish is a fool proof one to make, simple and delicious and ready in a jiffy. Though the title says spicy, the dish does not leave behind a fiery, burning sensation- it is just rightly spiced where you get to enjoy the true flavours of the spices than the heat.
The pairing of chickpeas and potato is so common and you can find recipes using these two together in almost all kinds of cuisines. This recipe is distinctly Indian with the use of classic spices like mustard seeds, coriander, chilli and turmeric. A quick dish and perfect for the rainy days…..
Recipe Courtesy – Coles food magazine
1. Potatoes – 1 kg, peeled and quartered
2. Chickpeas – 400 gms, soaked, washed and drained (you can use canned variety too)
3. Vegetable oil – 4 tbsp
4. Mustard seeds – 1 ½ tsp
5. Ground coriander – 2 tsp
6. Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
7. Chilli flakes – 1 tsp (reduce if you like it less spicy)
8. Salt – to season
9. Thick plain yoghurt/curd – ½ cup
10. Coriander leaves – finely chopped, for garnish
• Boil the potatoes in salted water (do not make it mushy), drain and keep aside.
• Cook the chickpeas in salted water, drain and keep aside.
• In a large pan, heat oil and crackle mustard seeds.
• Reduce heat and add all the powdered spices and sauté for 30 seconds.
• Add the potatoes and chickpeas; combine well and season with salt if necessary.
• Cook for 10 minutes on low heat till the spices combine well with the potatoes and chickpeas.
• Remove to serving dish, drizzle with yoghurt and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
• Serve hot.
Tagged: aloo, chana, chickpea potato, chickpeas, easy indian recipes, garbazo beans, indian aloo, indian chickpea recipes, indian garbanzo, indian potato recipes, indian recipes, potato, spiced potato chickpeas