Pan Fried Prawns with Curry Leaf Spice Blend

School holidays are over and that means it’s time to get back to the daily grind!

Though this was a small two week break, it was a whirlwind one packed with activities, short trips, church, Easter egg hunts, loads of chocolate (and there’s plenty left) and food.

Work has been lax over these two weeks and its time I honoured my commitments and finish off the pending projects; starting with this recipe developed for Supreme Seafood.

I have an on-going love affair with curry leaves. Blame it on my Indian roots, especially my South Indian roots, I absolutely love the flavour, aroma and pungency of curry leaves. I have always felt it is such an underestimated herb, often relegated to just the tempering stage when it can be used in so many different ways.

Use of curry leaves is practically unheard of in other cuisines. Given its native nature, it can be difficult to grow in most other countries. My Western world friends are quite jealous seeing the ease with which we can buy curry leaves in Australia and even grow it. I bought my first plant last week!

Today’s dish is a South Indian style prawn fry which showcases the flavour of curry leaves to its utmost. Experimented a bit to get the balance of flavours right, but finally nailed it.

Tiger Prawns - food photography - thespiceadventuress.com

An extremely simple one to prepare, the star ingredient here is of course the gorgeous curry leaves which are pounded along with spices and aromatics to create a strong yet flavourful marinade (a little of this goes a long way). Allow the prawns to absorb these flavours and then finish off by frying in a splash of coconut oil. Delicious!

This marinade/spice blend can be prepared in bulk and refrigerated or frozen for later use. Use it to stir fry chicken and serve with rice and dal or use it as a sandwich filling or in tacos. For a vegetarian option, I am thinking of potatoes, mushrooms, cottage cheese……

Pan fried prawns with curry leaf spice blend - thespiceadventuress.com

1. 300 gms medium-sized prawns; cleaned and deveined
2. ½ cup fresh curry leaves + 2 sprigs for garnish
3. 4 garlic cloves

Click here for full recipe…..

Recipe developed, styled and shot for Supreme Seafood

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , ,

10 thoughts on “Pan Fried Prawns with Curry Leaf Spice Blend

1. RecipeTin (@Recipe_Tin) August 17, 2016 at 2:31 am Reply

Just looking through and saw this! Another prawn recipe! Yummy! It looks so delicious! 😀

• vanyadhanya August 17, 2016 at 9:18 am Reply

Thanks Nagi; you would have gathered that I am crazy about seafood by now.

2. rebeccassunday April 17, 2015 at 9:09 am Reply

This looks fantastic!

• vanyadhanya April 18, 2015 at 4:10 am Reply

thanks Rebecca; its a joy when experiments come out successful (I think a bit of the scientist in me retains!)

3. BOYEATSWORLD April 14, 2015 at 2:36 am Reply

This looks incredible – will have to make it fit my little curry lovers

• vanyadhanya April 14, 2015 at 2:56 am Reply

It doesn’t have a typical curry flavor and is not very spicy either. Instead of reducing the quantity of ingredients to make the blend, just add lesser marinade than what I have used to the prawns. Enjoy!

4. Shelly April 13, 2015 at 10:21 pm Reply

That looks so delicious! It’s only 8 in the morning and I haven’t had breakfast yet, so my mouth is watering – even for curry, at this hour! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

• vanyadhanya April 14, 2015 at 2:54 am Reply

lol Shelly, but I get very happy when you say that. My job is done!

5. lapetitepaniere April 13, 2015 at 7:08 am Reply