Pasta with Spinach and Goat’s Cheese may sound exotic but it is really a simple, easy one. Ready in under 30 minutes with just a handful of ingredients makes this the perfect dish after a busy day at work.
Is there something called ‘too many’ pasta recipes?
Well, not in our household. Pasta recipes are often like that almost one-pot meal that is so quick to put together which is what most of us are looking for on a daily basis. And the non-saucy ones make the perfect leftovers for the next day lunch boxes.
In fact, I make the heavy, sauce based pasta dishes only occasionally. I tend to make pesto a lot, several variations of it, depending on what the herb garden is producing in abundance. I also enjoy roasting tomatoes and bell peppers for a thick sauce which is used along with pasta and other veggies. I use cold cuts, sausages and prawns a lot too as these need much less time to cook when compared to other meats.
While I prefer most of my everyday pasta dishes to go easy on cheese, today’s dish intrigued me as I had never paired goat’s cheese with pasta before. I have had it plenty on a cheese board but never with pasta. And when I came across some delicious Yarra Valley goat’s cheese, I knew I just had to make this pasta with spinach and goat’s cheese.
This pasta with spinach and goat’s cheese is fairly simple with very few ingredients. Hence the flavour depends on the quality of spinach and goat’s cheese used. I added some red chilli too, to add another dimension to the overall flavours.
The best type of pasta for a dish like this is the thin noodle like ones, usually referred to as spaghettini. Its light and the perfect shape and texture to absorb flavours especially when there is no sauce or too many ingredients vying for attention.
Let’s get on to the recipe then…and do share your feedback with me if you happen to try it out.
Pasta with Spinach and Goat’s Cheese
- 500 gm dried spaghettini
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves; crushed and finely chopped
- 1-2 long red chilli less heat variety; use less or omit depending on heat preferences
- 150 gm baby spinach leaves
- ¼ cup basil; torn
- 150 gm goat’s cheese
- Salt to season
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water as per packet instructions; drain (reserving ½ cup water) and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the garlic and chillies; sauté on low heat for a minute.
- Then add the spinach leaves and cook on medium heat till just wilted.
- Add the cooked pasta with half of the reserved pasta water. Toss on high heat for about a minute.
- Remove from heat and fold in the basil and goat’s cheese
- Serve immediately.