I find it so hard to name a salad. Most of the time it’s a handful of ingredients that I randomly throw together into a bowl based on what’s in my fridge or sometimes inspired by a social media post, article or perhaps a dish I have eaten at a restaurant.
Unless I am meticulously following a recipe, it’s always ‘on the spur’ decisions and that’s why giving a name is such a chore. Like today’s salad, which I am calling Chickpea, Carrot & Radish salad because that’s exactly what’s in it along a few other tidbits.
Chickpea based salads are a favourite of mine because it can double up as a meal, or as a more hearty accompaniment to grilled fish or meats. Apart from adding a protein boost to any meal, chickpeas are also great to use in salads as it pairs well with so many different flavours.
And it’s a dish that is perfect for any party, be it your office team lunch or a summer barbecue.
I do not prefer to use canned chickpeas; instead I prefer to soak the chickpeas for a few hours (mostly overnight) which ensure the cooking process is faster; the taste and texture is much better too.
Whenever I use carrots in a salad, I like to use a julienne peeler to get those beautiful thin, wispy strips. While the crunchy texture is still retained, the julienned carrots make great presentation and also ideal to really absorb the flavours from the dressing.
Baby radish not only adds crunch and freshness but also a slight pepperiness to the overall flavours. Nuts are often a part of most of my salads and for this chickpea salad, I added a handful of toasted pine nuts. But remember nuts go in only just before serving so that the texture is retained.
The dressing is a simple vinaigrette but I used apple cider vinegar and a chilli infused olive oil; you can use white vinegar and extra virgin olive oil too. Grate in some garlic too to boost up the flavours which make this chickpea, carrot and radish salad a really delicious one.
More salad inspiration and recipes here.
Chickepea Carrot and Radish Salad
- 1 cup dried chickpeas; soaked overnight or atleast 4 hours in warm water
- 1 large carrot; julienned
- 4-5 baby radish; finely sliced
- ¼ cup pine nuts; toasted
- 3 celery sticks; chopped
- 3 sprigs parsley leaves; finely chopped
- 4-5 fresh oregano leaves optional
- 1 small garlic clove; grated
- 4 tbsp chilli infused olive oil
- 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Salt to season
- Freshly crushed black pepper; to season
- Cook the chickpeas in salted boiling water; drain and keep aside.
- In a salad bowl, add the chickpeas, carrot, radish and celery.
- To make the dressing, add the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper to a small capped container. Shake well to form an emulsion.
- Before serving, add the toasted pine nuts, oregano leaves, parsley and the dressing to the salad bowl.
- Toss well and serve.