One of the simplest dishes, this Peri Peri Pasta with bacon and oyster mushrooms is bound to be a big hit with your children. The star ingredient is the peri peri sauce from Nando’s which adds a delicious, flavourful punch. The bacon and mushrooms make this dish so moreish that you want to have seconds for sure.
I have fallen in love with the Nando’s peri-peri sauces! Now that’s an understatement – it is more like an obsession, wanting to add the different sauces to just about anything I cook.
The first time I tasted Nando’s was after coming to Australia. But later got to hear that a Nando’s outlet opened in Chennai (Tamil Nadu, India) for the first time the month we flew to Oz land. Of all the different dishes that I have tasted in Nando’s, my all-time favourite is the corn on the cob smothered with the hot peri-peri sauce. Spicy sweetness in one bite – touching heaven’s doors! (as one of my classmates would put it)
Now, my pantry is always stocked with the different peri-peri sauces which I use to re-create many traditional meat dishes. Here I went overboard and used it to make this Peri Peri Pasta. This is not one for the mild-hearted; it is spicy but not overpowering to burn your taste buds. Bacon and oyster mushrooms were a good choice as both are meaty and great for soaking up the sauce.
Here are five easy pasta recipes that are brilliant to feed the family on busy worknights…
Peri-peri Pasta (with bacon and oyster mushrooms)
- Pasta any type – 2 cups
- Oyster mushrooms – 1 cup diced
- Bacon – 6 rashers cut into small pieces
- Red onion – 1 small diced
- Tomato – 1 small deseeded, diced
- Basil – 4-5 leaves
- Nando’s hot peri-peri sauce – to individual preferences
- Salt – to taste
- Olive oil – 4-5 tbsp
- Dried basil – for garnish
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water, drain and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat olive oil and fry the bacon. Add diced onions and sauté on high heat.
- Next, add oyster mushrooms and sauté till soft.
- Add tomatoes, season with salt and toss well to combine.
- Next add the peri-peri sauce and the pasta; toss again to combine well.
- Serve warm garnished with dried basil.