I have fallen in love with the Nando’s peri-peri sauces! Now that’s an understatement – it is more like an obsession, wanting to add the different sauces to just about anything I cook.
The first time I tasted Nando’s was after coming to Australia. But later got to hear that a Nando’s outlet opened in Chennai (Tamil Nadu, India) for the first time the month we flew to Oz land. Of all the different dishes that I have tasted in Nando’s, my all-time favourite is the corn on the cob smothered with the hot peri-peri sauce. Spicy sweetness in one bite – touching heaven’s doors! (as one of my classmates would put it)
Now, my pantry is always stocked with the different peri-peri sauces which I use to re-create many traditional meat dishes. Here I went overboard and used it for pasta. This is not one for the mild-hearted; it is spicy but not overpowering to burn your taste buds. Bacon and oyster mushrooms were a good choice as both are meaty and great for soaking up the sauce.
1. Pasta (any type) – 2 cups
2. Oyster mushrooms – 1 cup, diced
3. Bacon – 3 rashers, cut into small pieces
4. Red onion – 1 small, diced
5. Tomato – 1 small, deseeded, diced
6. Basil – 4-5 leaves
7. Nando’s hot peri-peri sauce – as much as you dare to use
8. Salt – to taste
9. Olive oil – 4-5 tbsp
10. Italian herbs – for garnish
• Cook pasta in salted boiling water, drain and keep aside.
• In a pan, heat olive oil and fry the bacon. Add diced onions and sauté on high heat.
• Next, add oyster mushrooms and sauté till soft.
• Add tomatoes and season with salt.
• Add the peri-peri sauce, mix well
• Add the pasta and mix well.
• Garnish with basil leaves and Italian herbs.
Tagged: Bacon, bacon recipe, Mushroom, mushroom recipe, Nando, nandos, nandos peri peri, oyster mushrooms, oyster mushrooms recipe, Pasta, pasta bacon, pasta mushroom, pasta nandos, pasta recipe, peri peri, peri peri sauce, Piri, Sauce