This Fish chilli is a must try for Indo Chinese lovers! Sweet n’ spicy, succulent cubes of fish fried with spices and aromatics, then tossed with onions and tomatoes. An excellent pairing with any kind of fried rice.
Fish chilli – one name but a thousand avatars! If you were to Google the term ‘fish chilli’, you will be surprised to find the number of ‘different’ recipes that will be thrown up. While some are Indian, some are Chinese and the rest fall under the vague but popular fusion cuisine ‘Indo-Chinese’.
This recipe which I got from a dear friend (Shanza, thanks for this one), is a true celebration of Indian flavours. The fiery, hot redness of the chilli powder and the green chillies rub shoulders with the fresh aroma of curry leaves coating each single piece of fish making this a lip-smacking favourite for seafood lovers.
I have used sea bass fillets for this recipe but you could use any fish with white firm flesh. Prawns are a great substitute too.
I am a huge seafood lover, hence you will find plenty of seafood recipes on this blog. But here are my top 5 recipes that are a must try.
- Fish any variety – I used 2 sea bass fish fillets, cut into small bite-sized pieces
- Red chilli powder – 2 tsp 1 tsp for marinating fish and 1 tsp for the masala
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Red onion – 2 diced
- Green chilli – 2 slit lengthwise
- Tomato – 1 medium deseeded and diced
- Chilli flakes – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 3 sprigs
- Garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Salt – to season
- Vegetable oil – to shallow fry fish
- Marinate the fish pieces using chilli powder, garlic paste and salt; keep aside for 30 minutes. Shallow fry in oil and drain well. (If you are using fillet pieces, make sure that you do not constantly turn the fish pieces or you could end up breaking it into smaller bits).
- In a pan, heat 3 tbsp oil, add curry leaves, onions and green chillies. Saute for a minute (you want the crunch of the onions) and add the tomatoes, salt, remaining chilli powder and coriander powder. Saute for a minute more and add the fried fish pieces.
- Mix well but gently and finally sprinkle the chilli flakes.
- Hot and spicy fish chilli is ready.