Of course pasta has to make its appearance into my weekly menu. But this is the first time I am trying out a mascarpone based sauce.
A no-brainer recipe and a great alternative to Bechamel sauce especially if you want a creamy one without the heaviness of a Bechamel. Also the process of making the Mascarpone sauce is much easier in comparison.
This dish could just be spaghetti and mascarpone sauce without the addition of anything else. But I wanted more flavour, something more meaty yet nutritious so mushrooms were the natural choice. And mushrooms lend itself very well to a creamy sauce like this one. Perfect for a busy day or when you need to feed a crowd with minimal fuss!
Do you make pasta often? What’s your favourite way to eat pasta?
Here are a few other suggestions if you are fond of pasta like my family….
- Pasta with Spinach and Goat’s Cheese
- Pasta with Kale, Bacon and Mushrooms
- Penne with Tuna (in Chilli Oil)
- Spaghetti with Chicken Sausages in White Sauce
- Pasta stir fry with Asparagus, Broccoli, Peppers and Snow Peas
So let’s jump straight in to the recipe for Spaghetti, Mascarpone sauce and Mushrooms…
Spaghetti, Mascarpone Sauce, Mushrooms
- 200 gms spaghetti
- 15 gms unsalted butter
- 250 gms mascarpone cheese
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt to season
- Freshly crushed black pepper; to season
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ cups assorted mushrooms
- 1 garlic; grated
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- ¼ cup fresh parsley; finely chopped reserve some for garnish
- A handful of walnuts; coarsely crushed
- Grated parmesan; to serve
- Cook the spaghetti in salted boiling water as per packet instructions and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat the olive oil and add the grated garlic followed by the mushrooms. Stir fry on high heat and season the mushrooms with salt and chilli flakes. Keep aside.
- In the same pan, melt butter and add the mascarpone cheese. Mix well; add the milk to loosen up the sauce followed by the Parmesan. Season with salt and black pepper; cook till all the ingredients are combined to get a smooth sauce. Add the spaghetti, mushrooms and parsley; toss well to combine.
- Serve hot with chopped parsley, crushed walnuts and grated parmesan.