Butternut squash features really low in my vegetable list. I have always had the impression that this vegetable is really bland and so will be the dishes made out of it.But I must say this vegetable is an eye-catching one and every time, I visit the local farmer’s market, these beauties do catch my attention.
Since I was in no mood to experiment with this new vegetable, I always gave it the pass i.e. until I came across this soup recipe.
One of my dear foodie friends, Nanditha who also runs the popular microblog Kitchening About on Facebook had shared this recipe using pumpkin. The hint of spice in this recipe is what attracted me to this as it didn’t sound like a bland one. I decided to try it out anyway but with butternut squash and the result – a rich, creamy, delicious and nutritious soup with just the right hint of spice and flavour to appease my Indian taste buds.
So, here’s the recipe for butternut squash soup…..
Butternut Squash Soup
- Butternut squash – 12 big chunks
- Garlic – 3 cloves chopped finely
- Onions – 1 small chopped finely
- Bay leaf – 2
- Cloves – 2
- Vegetable stock – 1 cup the original recipe used water but I used stock to give some extra flavor
- Salt – to season
- Cracked black pepper – to season
- Light cream – 2 tbsp.
- Parmesan cheese – a sprinkle for garnish
- Put the stock, vegetables, salt, bay leaves and cloves in a pan, cover and bring it to a boil.
- Once boiled, turn the flame to medium-low and keep it that way till the squash pieces become soft.
- Strain the stock and reserve it for later use.
- Also remove the bay leaves and cloves.
- Take the veggies and blitz them to make a thick puree.
- Add as much stock as you’d like depending on your preferred consistency for the soup.
- Now to the soup add cream and give it a mix.
- Give it a taste and season the soup accordingly.
- Add a final touch to the soup by topping it off with parmesan cheese.
This is a great soup recipe for children who are otherwise fussy to eat veggies. Do you make soups at home? Which one is your child’s favourite?