Tempered Cauliflower Rice

I have finally jumped on the ‘cauliflower rice’ bandwagon!

The rise of the ‘raw food’ trend has been momentous in the recent times, especially given the current focus on health and natural living.

Cauliflower, perhaps, is one of the first ingredients that began to be used in its raw form as a substitute for grains. If you haven’t got the concept, cauliflower florets are blitzed to a finely grated form to mimic rice. A couple of brilliant cooks and chefs began to come up with delicious and unique ideas of using cauliflower beyond its traditional form. And today, it has a cult following around the globe.

Though I have come across quite a few recipes using cauliflower in this new avatar, I really didn’t intend to make it. And I almost certainly wouldn’t have if not for the editor of the community magazine where I freelance. ‘R’ has been asking me for an Indian inspired cauliflower rice for months now and I kept putting her off. But finally, here I am with the simplest ‘cauliflower rice’ dish.

So this tempered cauliflower rice is a simple, non fussy dish drawing inspiration from the rice dishes of South India.

A no-brainer really! All that I did is borrow the idea of ‘cauliflower rice’ and the South Indian style of tempering rice and merged it together. Easy peasy, just as Adi would say.

There are so many ways you can use this tempered cauliflower rice. Have it as the main dish (like I did) with a side of pickle, pappads and salad or you could make a Buddha bowl with chickpeas and an assortment of veggies. It is great as a filling for burritos replacing the lime rice or a nice accompaniment to your steaks (hugely cuts down the guilt factor!).

Before we get down to the recipe, if the idea of ‘cauliflower rice’ has tickled your fancy, here’s another delicious dish I would totally recommend. Sneh is a brilliant cook and she has come up with the perfect pot of cauliflower rice biryani salad!!

Note – Make sure that you only buy really fresh and good quality cauliflower, especially when you are using it as a raw food.

1. 1 whole cauliflower; separated into large florets
2. 2 tsp ghee/clarified butter
3. 1 tbsp sesame oil
4. 1 tbsp raw cashewnuts
5. 1 tbsp raw peanuts
6. 1 tsp mustard seeds
7. 2 sprigs curry leaves
8. 3 dry red chilli
9. 1 green chilli, slit in half
10. ½ tsp turmeric powder
11. Asafoetida/hing, a pinch
12. Juice of 1 lemon
13. Salt, to season

• Wash the florets well and dry completely.
• In a food processor, blitz the florets to get the grainy, rice like texture. If you do not have a processor, then finely great the cauliflower.
• Heat ghee and oil in a large deep pan; roast the cashewnuts and peanuts separately and keep aside.
• In the same oil, crackle mustard seeds and then add curry leaves and dry red chilli.
• Reduce heat and add green chilli, turmeric powder, asafoetida and the blitzed cauliflower.
• Season with salt and add juice of ½ lemon. Mix well and toss on high heat for a minute or two and then remove from heat.
• Taste and add more lemon juice if necessary.
• Serve warm with a dollop of love!

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

24 thoughts on “Tempered Cauliflower Rice

1. Rosie @Eco-Gites of Lenault November 10, 2015 at 6:56 am Reply

I have made cauliflower pizza base but never “rice” – will look out for some nice cauliflowers at market and give this a go

• vanyadhanya November 10, 2015 at 6:57 am Reply

It’s a nice light dish…you must surely give it a go.

2. John @ heneedsfood August 25, 2015 at 10:09 pm Reply

I’m yet to jump onto the cauliflower rice concept, but seeing this has me very tempted!

• vanyadhanya August 26, 2015 at 12:27 am Reply

try it; i think its an interesting variation

3. Monika August 24, 2015 at 9:42 am Reply

.Interesting!! Looks lovely.

4. afracooking August 19, 2015 at 2:00 pm Reply

Cauliflower has become my favourite recipe (rice, mashed etc). I have to admit the raw flavour is a bit much for me to. I also briefly stir fry it. Love your spice combination!! I must give it a try – especially the curry leaf! Fabulous.

• vanyadhanya August 20, 2015 at 12:28 am Reply

I get what you are saying Afra; had the same queries myself prior to making the dish. With this particular one, I found that tossing it through these spices sort of took the raw edge off yet retained the crunch. Do give it a try and let me know what you think….

5. Tanvi August 18, 2015 at 7:28 am Reply

Lemon Rice! I like it. It’s look yum. I think, I am hungry. Going to try it now.

• vanyadhanya August 18, 2015 at 8:27 am Reply

yes Tanvi; lemon rice without the rice so go for it.

6. Itz Anjelica August 18, 2015 at 6:47 am Reply

This looks so good yum!!!!
    Nice blog.
    Anjelica from Aussie Bloggers group
    fashion-fitness-food.com

7. Elaine @ foodbod August 18, 2015 at 5:33 am Reply

Very nice! I do like cauliflower rice, especially with lots of flavour added 🙂

• vanyadhanya August 18, 2015 at 5:47 am Reply

thanks Elaine; whats your favourite way of doing it?

• Elaine @ foodbod August 18, 2015 at 7:47 am

I don’t know if I’ve got a favourite!! Fried with garlic & olive oil is good…:)

• vanyadhanya August 18, 2015 at 8:27 am

that sounds good too; another friend was saying of doing an Indo Chinese style fried rice with cauliflower

• Elaine @ foodbod August 18, 2015 at 8:05 pm

Nice!!

8. Mr Fitz August 17, 2015 at 4:17 pm Reply

I am still yet to try it

• vanyadhanya August 18, 2015 at 12:39 am Reply

It is a brilliant idea especially if are looking to cut down carbs or just for something new and delicious.

9. simplyvegetarian777 August 17, 2015 at 12:19 pm Reply

Beautiful ❤️

10. Rajni Anand Luthra August 17, 2015 at 6:30 am Reply

It’s lemon rice, without the rice! Wonderful, Dhanya!!

• vanyadhanya August 17, 2015 at 8:23 am Reply

The right person to read the post first! Just as I wrote, I wouldnt have cooked this if not for you.